Radian is seeking an Equitable Development Designer or Design Manager to join our team!
Location: Denver, CO
Compensation: Equitable Development Designer or Design Manager
$60-$65K or $70-$75K (respectively). Full-time, salaried position. Position commensurate with experience.
About Radian: Radian is a Denver-based nonprofit architecture and urban design group that advances social equity by redefining how places are designed and built.
Radian believes communities are best strengthened when they speak for themselves; define their own identities, narratives, and priorities; and determine the direction of their neighborhoods. We leverage a diverse range of design skills to support communities such as advocating for increased community agency and representation, providing technical assistance, designing community-centered spaces, and creating opportunities for equitable development.
We are currently seeking a passionate and hard working Designer or Design Manager to join us in our equitable development work. We are a small, versatile team of designers who makes a big impact through architecture, urban planning, and community advocacy. We work on a diverse range of projects that use design in the built environment as a tool to advance social equity. These project types include affordable housing, housing solutions, education, equitable development, advocacy and policy, community space, equitable transit, social justice, healthy food access, and land use & real estate.
We are looking for a team member who is committed to:
- Using design and other technical skills as tools to advance social equity
- Community advocacy and representation in decision-making
- Developing strong community relationships and partnerships
- Listening to community and collaborating with compassion and creativity
- Learning about anti-racism and social justice advocacy
- Curiosity and radical empathy
- Embracing the complexities that are inherent in community-centered design
Desired Qualifications & Preferences
Equitable Development Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in community-centered design, community advocacy, and/or equitable development.
- Education and/or experience in JEDI (justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion) advocacy, with a specific commitment to anti-racism initiatives.
- Experience working with underrepresented populations (e.g., communities of color, under-resourced communities, immigrants and refugees, unhoused neighbors, etc.)
- Additional Preferences:
- Demonstrated experience in developing monitoring and evaluation strategies that measure community impact and equitable outcomes
- Master’s degree in architecture, urban design, or urban planning preferred
- Design Thinking/Human-Centered Design experience a plus
- Designer role: 3-7 years of experience in project management, design, community engagement/advocacy.
- Design Manager role: 7-12 years of experience in project management, design, community engagement/advocacy.
- Experience with direct civic engagement, including but not limited to: organizing design charrettes/workshops or hosting a community forum/focus group.
- Additional Preferences:
- Adobe Creative Suite fluency
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong graphic design skills
- Strong research and data analysis skills
- Experience in GIS, Revit, and Sketchup
- Unlimited vacation & PTO days
- Healthcare coverage
- Paid Holidays (MLK Jr Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day)
- Working at BUILD, Radian’s shared space for community-serving organizations, and alongside our wonderful BUILD community.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: Radian is committed to promoting justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and we are actively working to make sure these values are wholly integrated throughout our organization and work. We value and welcome diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other wonderful characteristics that make us different.
Don’t worry if you don’t match every single qualification and preference. If this job description speaks to you, we encourage you to apply. We are looking for a versatile individual who is uniquely qualified to support our mission, and we value the full breadth of education and/or experience that advancing social equity includes.
Interested in applying?
Please email one file containing an interest letter, resume, and design portfolio/work samples to email@example.com with the subject line “Equitable Development Designer”.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.