Designer//Community Engagement Specialist
Hybrid @ BUILD Office: 3264 Larimer St. Denver, CO
$45 – $55K. Full-time, salaried position. Salary commensurate with experience.
Radian is a nonprofit architecture and urban design group with the mission to advance social equity in the built environment. Radian envisions a world where residents, who have been traditionally underrepresented in design and planning, have the agency, power, and resources they need to shape their own communities and neighborhoods.
Radian’s work is based in the acknowledgement that discriminatory policies and institutionalized racism, woven throughout the built environment, have created gross inequities in health, wealth, and power that have compounded over time. To confront this reality, we center residents’ expertise and lived experiences through community partnerships and design processes that are inclusive, collaborative, and responsive.
We are currently seeking a passionate and hard working Designer//Community Engagement Specialist to join us in our design justice work. We are a small, versatile team of designers who make a big impact through architecture, urban planning, and community advocacy. We work on a diverse range of projects that use design in the built environment as a tool to advance social equity. These project types include affordable housing, housing solutions, education, equitable development, advocacy and policy, community space, equitable transit, social justice, healthy food access, and land use & real estate.
About the Designer//Community Engagement Specialist Position
This position is responsible for supporting multiple Radian projects, campaigns, and initiatives through design (architectural and graphic), storytelling, bilingual community engagement and advocacy, and marketing and campaign development. Although we expect this position to grow with Radian and eventually create and manage their own projects and project types, this position will immediately act as a graphic design and community engagement support for BUILD (Radian’s Community Coworking Space), RNO Equity Toolkit Phase II, Safe Outdoor Spaces, and 303 Artway. This position is also responsible for supporting our organization’s marketing design strategy through social media, newsletter, and campaigns.
We are looking for a team member who is committed to:
- Using design and other technical skills as tools to advance social equity
- Community advocacy and representation in decision-making
- Developing strong community relationships and partnerships
- Listening to community and collaborating with compassion and creativity
- Learning about anti-racism and social justice advocacy
- Curiosity and radical empathy
- Embracing the complexities that are inherent in community-centered design
Desired Qualifications & Preferences
Community Engagement Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in community-centered design, community advocacy, and/or equitable development.
- Education and/or experience in JEDI (justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion) advocacy, with a specific commitment to anti-racism initiatives.
- Experience working with underrepresented populations (e.g., communities of color, under-resourced communities, immigrants and refugees, unhoused neighbors, etc.)
- Ability to commute to and from office and project sites as needed.
- Additional Preferences: Bilingual, preferably Spanish/English
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, urban design, urban planning, or other related fields preferred
- Experience in graphic design, architectural design, and/or exhibit design
- Experience with direct community engagement, including but not limited to: organizing design charrettes/workshops or hosting a community forum/focus group.
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite, Architectural Programs (AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp) and demonstrated design skills including graphics, rendering, and visualization
- Additional Preferences:
- GIS fluency or ability and desire to learn
- Design Thinking/Human-Centered Design
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research and data analysis skills
- 4-Day Work Weeks (4 10-hour days)
- Unlimited vacation & PTO days
- Healthcare coverage
- Family Leave Policy
- 401K Program
- Paid Holidays (MLK Jr Day, Cesar Chavez Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day)
- Working at BUILD, Radian’s shared space for community-serving organizations, and alongside our wonderful BUILD community.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Don’t worry if you don’t match every single qualification and preference. If this job description speaks to you, we encourage you to apply. We are looking for a versatile individual who is uniquely qualified to support our mission, and we value the full breadth of education and/or experience that advancing social equity includes.
Radian is committed to promoting justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and we are actively working to make sure these values are wholly integrated throughout our organization and work. We value and welcome diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other wonderful characteristics that make us different.
Interested in applying?
Please email one file containing an interest letter, resume, and design portfolio/work samples to email@example.com with the subject line “Radian Designer & Community Engagement Specialist”.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.